Music Licensing

Our Licensing Options

We have several ways you can procure music or lyrics from our catalogue, learn the various options below.

Synchronization Licensing

Our most common license granted is a synchronization license. A ‘synch’ or ‘sync’ license is any license granted for a song used in a film, film trailer, video game, television commercial, web video etc. In short, music set to any moving image across multiple mediums. For more information, see our FAQ page.

Mechanical Licence

Warner/Chappell also grants mechanical licences for songs we represent. The difference between a synchronization licensing request and a mechanical request is simple: a synch request deals with any song to be used with a visual medium (a video game, film trailer, television advertisement) whereas a mechanical licence is for licensing of audio only–songs for a recorded medium (a CD compilation or deluxe digital edition/re-issue package, etc.).

Master Licence

A master licence refers to the recorded side of music (not publishing), and is typically handled by the record label who released the track and holds the master rights to the song. Warner/Chappell now handles master sync rights for a number of records in addition to continuing to represent publishing for our over a million copyrights. To find out what songs we can clear both master and publishing on, get in touch with our sync department.

Print Licence

Want to use a famous song lyric we represent in a book or magazine? That’s an example of a print licence, which is any licence that is not set to moving images/not using the recorded music portion of the song, just the lyrical element. Sheet music also falls under our print licence and our partner for sheet music is Faber Music.

Theatrical Licensing

All requests to use Warner/Chappell song(s) in a theatrical production (including compilation shows, musical plays, and dance productions) should be made direct to

Musical Theatre

The Warner/Chappell amateur musicals catalogue is administered by Faber Music in the UK, Eire and certain other territories. For all amateur licence requests (schools, colleges, universities, youth/church groups, and amateur dramatic societies), please email or refer to the following website for further information: Any professional licence requests should be made direct to Warner/Chappell at
Please click on the link below to see our Catalogue of Musicals:
Catalogue of Musicals

Orchestral Hire Library

The Warner/Chappell orchestral hire catalogue is administered for rental by Faber Music in the UK, Eire and certain other territories. To hire works and for further information, please email or refer to the following website: